[IPython-dev] nbconvert on Scientific Linux 5

Jon Wilson jsw at fnal.gov
Sat Jun 28 13:58:14 EDT 2014

Hi Aaron,
I seem to have succeeded.  I installed the GHC 6.8 binary, which I used
to compile ("quickest" build mode) GHC 6.12, which I used to compile GHC
7.4, which I used to compile GHC 7.6.3 ("perf" build mode).  I then used
GHC 7.6.3 to compile haskell-platform from source.  I ran into minor
difficulties here, because the system I'm on lacks GLUT.  But following
instructions from [1], I removed all the OpenGL stuff from the build.
Then I had cabal, so I could run cabal install cabal and then cabal
install pandoc.

Now I just have to re-do `make install` for GHC 7.6.3 and for
haskell-platform with a prefix that puts it inside my anaconda distribution.

I initially ran into problems with haskell-platform, because I got
ambitious and built the latest GHC, rather than GHC 7.6.3.  This
compiler failed to build the platform.  But when I went back to the
recommended version, all was well.

I'm happy to share binaries or whatever with anybody else who is having
difficulties getting pandoc going on an older system.
Regards,
Jon

[1]: http://stackoverflow.com/a/18116508/2539647