[IPython-dev] writing notebook extensions compatible with IPython.load_extensions

Max Linke max_linke at gmx.de
Sun Jun 29 09:39:26 EDT 2014

Hi

I'm trying to write an extension that adds a new button the the toolbar.
I can't figure out how to use any IPython specific js functions when I

This is the code I have in ~/.ipython/nbextensions/test.js

	IPython.toolbar.add_buttons_group([
	{
		'label' : 'test',
		'icon'  : 'icon-moon',
 	   	'id'	: 'test-button'
	}
	]);

When I use this the js-console of chromium gives the following error

	Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'add_buttons_group' of
	undefined

But if I load test.js in custom.js like this it works.

	$([IPython.events]).on('app_initialized.NotebookApp',function(){
     	   require(['nbextensions/test.js']);
	});

What do I have to add to test.js so that the js functions in the IPython
namespace are not undefined?

best Max