[IPython-dev] nush

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 17:57:39 EST 2014

Hi Carl,

Thanks for sharing this!  It looks like you've done a great job, and I
hadn't heard of the Kano project before (http://www.kano.me).

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 3:57 AM, Carl Smith <carl.input at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you're an IPython user, you may consider nush a bit redundant, but
> it does do a lot that IPython, by design, never will. The reason I'm
> plugging it here is only that it has features that IPython developers
> may find interesting.

Yup, there's obvious similarities (.commands are reminiscent of %magics,
shell/os/python blend, etc). But I'm always happy to see folks exploring
these ideas in different directions, and with the freedom that starting a
new project provides. IPython is by now an old and stodgy project, saddled
with the weight of a large user base. That's on many fronts a great thing,
as it means we've been successful in providing something of value to a lot
of people. But it also means that we're much more constrained in what we
can reasonably do without breaking things for existing users.

Best of luck with the project!