[IPython-dev] Results of last year's user survey

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 21:08:03 EDT 2014

There are chat rooms for organizations and repos

- only members of an organization can join the org room
- public repo rooms are public
- private repo rooms are private

I think there are two things that we use on HipChat that gitter doesn't do:

- guest access (GitHub login is required even for public rooms)
- push/email notifications for mentions when idle (it supports desktop, but
not offline notifications)

For the most part, I think Gitter seems a lot better than HipChat,
especially for guests (at least those with GitHub accounts). I am not
especially fond of HipChat, and the guest experience is pretty horrendous
(no native app, no history, frequent crashes, etc.), so I wouldn't mind
giving something else a try.

-MinRK