[IPython-dev] IPyXMPP, a chat bot serving an IPython shell over XMPP

Francesco Rossi mail.francesco.rossi+ml at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 16:47:42 EDT 2014

Hello all,

I am writing a tool for interacting in real time with the data being
processed in some simulation codes (running for days). Of course, I
find that the best fit for doing that is embedding IPython in the C
simulation codes and use its extraordinary features for data analysis.

To provide the easiest possible access (without the need to know which
cluster the simulation is running on or to set up ssh tunnels) to
simple commands, I have written a small chat bot that serves the
(embedded) IPython shell over XMPP.

The chat bot is here: https://github.com/redsh/IPyXMPP .

Has any of you already worked on something similar?
Do you think it could be useful in other fields rather than
long-simulation monitoring?
Which of the existing IPython shell apps would you suggest me to
follow as a track for implementing a multi-user/multi-kernel shell
over XMPP?

Cheers,
Francesco Rossi