[IPython-dev] IPython for Education

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 09:42:53 EDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 10:20 PM, Clare Sloggett
<claresloggett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> I'm still fairly new to IPython Notebook - is this idea (multiple different
> logins) just talking about something you'd like to see, or are you talking
> about technology which exists?

Doesn't exist yet, something I'd like to see, and something that I can
help build.

> I've been thinking about using IPython Notebook for teaching by having each
> student create a separate notebook, but I'm given pause by
> a) it's very easy for students to mess with one anothers' notebooks, either
> accidentally or on purpose
> b) all students would be based in the same working directory so they could
> easily corrupt one anothers' data files - this would be even more likely to
> happen by accident than (a).
>
> The best I've come up with so far is to create a set of notebook profiles
> with different passwords, and launch a server instance per student on
> different ports. If there is currently a way of handling multiple users in
> IPython Notebook I'd be interested!

That is probably the best that there is. But it wouldn't be too hard
to imagine automating that, and allowing id + password via a server.

> Of course the other option is to have students run their notebook on
> localhost on their own computer, but sometimes we're in a lab situation
> where I don't have a lot of control over the machines and this is difficult
> to set up. Servers are easier in that situation.

Yes, that will always be an option, but I want to make it really easy
for beginning students to get started.

I believe that the IPython team is planning to turn their energy to a
server this summer. I hope to have something in place for this Fall.

-Doug