[IPython-dev] Fwd: ShiningPanda CI, clap de fin

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 19:58:44 EDT 2014

On 29 March 2014 16:33, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you think you've exhausted the search on available out-of-the box
> solutions? I wonder if someone has a Jenkins VM for windows that's ready to
> go and that could do the trick for us with minimal effort. We really want
> to have Windows CI up and running all the time, the last thing we need is
> to find about a serious Windows problem that crept up months earlier and
> went unnoticed (since few of the core team use Windows on a daily basis).

My impression from the searches I've done is that most out-of-the-box CI
systems either target webapp type projects for which a Linux environment is
a given, or .Net/C Windows apps. If we want to set up something ourself,
the major options are buildbot and Jenkins. buildbot is in the classic open
source style - scripts and config files - while Jenkins is a big Java web
app that you configure through the web UI. Given those descriptions, I
would lean towards buildbot, except that ShiningPanda uses Jenkins, so it's
already familiar, and they've offered to export Jenkins config if we want
it.

I had a quick search for Jenkins/buildbot Windows VM images - there were
some instructions for creating one, but none prepackaged. We probably want
to install our own things (Python etc.) in the image anyway.

ShiningPanda is keeping things running until the end of April, so we have a
few weeks to work this out before our Windows builds stop.

Thomas