[IPython-dev] SQLite kernel

Martin Gadbois mgadbois at gmail.com
Mon May 5 11:00:07 EDT 2014

Hi!

I would like to develop a SQLite kernel for IPython.

Keyword, table and column completion would help building queries, and a
dynamic output could resize text columns and have a proper notebook table
output.

To achieve that, I see two main directions:
1- Have an external kernel  (like
http://nbviewer.ipython.org/gist/Carreau/4279371/node-kernel.ipynb) coded
in Python since there are no 0MQ bindings for SQLite.
2- Extend IPython itself to support SQLite, since I will need to write
Python code anyway to support SQLite.

What would this list recommend as an implementation strategy?
Any example of creating an external kernel by reusing a subset of IPython
itself?

Thanks!

--
Martin