[IPython-dev] iPython cluster on multiple Windows servers, without Windows HPC Server

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Tue May 6 15:36:31 EDT 2014

An important thing to note about ipcluster is that it’s a very complicated
way to do something that’s not very complicated. All it sets out to do is:

   1. start a controller with ipcontroller
   2. start 0-many engines with ipengine

All of the complexity comes from abstracting how processes actually start,
including where machines are, batch systems, etc. But in the end, it’s just
doing:

$> ipcluster
$> for i in {1..n}; do ipengine; done

ipcluster makes some simple cases easier, but if it doesn’t do what you
want, you can always start the controller and engines yourself, with no
loss of functionality. Plus, a tool that only deploys a cluster on your own
system is much simpler than one that tries to work in a wide variety of
contexts like ipcluster.

The basic steps in getting a cluster up and running:

   1. configure the controller to listen on an IP visible to the other
   machines (c.HubFactory.ip = '1.2.3.4' in ipcontroller_config.py on the
   controller machine.
   2. start the controller with ipcontroller
   3. copy .ipython/profile_default/security/ipcontroller-*.json to all of
   the various machines on which you plan to start engines.
   4. start ipengine as many times as is appropriate on each machine.

Step 3. is unnecessary if your systems are on a shared filesystem.

For instance, here is a simple version that starts a controller and engines
with ssh on Linux or OS X machines, putting processes in the background
with screen:

$> ssh controller_host screen -dmS ipcontroller
$> for host in host1 host2; do
> scp ~/.ipython/profile_default/security/ipcontroller-*.json $host:.ipython/profile_default/security/
> ssh $host 'for n in {1..3}; do screen -dmS ipengine; done'
> done

Which is *a lot* simpler than the hundreds of lines of ipcluster, and,
frankly, better behaved than the SSH launchers that ship with IPython.

If you have Windows analogues for ‘tell machine X to run command Y,’ you
can make a similar script, tailored to your use.

-MinRK

I have a situation where I have to use MS Windows for a big parallel