[IPython-dev] notebook hangs with latest master

Zoltán Vörös zvoros at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 07:34:46 EST 2014

Hi Matthias,

On 11/04/2014 12:54 PM, Matthias Bussonnier wrote:
> Le 4 nov. 2014 à 11:23, Zoltán Vörös<zvoros at gmail.com>  a écrit :
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have checked out the latest code from the master branch, and run into two problems.
>>
>> The first is that the notebook frontend hangs, when I try to load older (meaning 2 days old) notebooks. The bullet on the top right hand side stays solid, instead of turning empty. At that point, nothing can be done with the client, it does not respond to anything, and the notebook is not reported in the "Running" tab of the dashboard. The problem persists even, if I make the notebook trusted on the command line.
> Do you get any errors on the Javascript console in the browser ?

Here is my error log:

Loaded extension: toc :8888/static/base/js/utils.js:26
<link type=​"text/​css" rel=​"stylesheet" href=​"/​nbextensions/​
toc.css">​ toc.js:147
Default extension for cell metadata editing loaded. default.js:48
Raw Cell Format toolbar preset loaded. rawcell.js:82
Slideshow extension for metadata editing loaded. slideshow.js:43
Ignoring untrusted image/svg+xml output. outputarea.js:518
Uncaught ReferenceError: nb is not defined notebook.js:2198
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not
Found) http://localhost:8888/static/components/codemirror/lib/codemirror
Uncaught Error: Script error for:
/static/components/codemirror/lib/codemirror
http://requirejs.org/docs/errors.html#scripterror require.js:141
http://localhost:8888/static/components/codemirror/addon/fold/foldcode
Uncaught Error: Script error for:
/static/components/codemirror/addon/fold/foldcode
http://requirejs.org/docs/errors.html#scripterror require.js:141
GET
http://localhost:8888/static/components/underscore/underscore-min.map
404 (Not Found) :8888/static/components/underscore/underscore-min.map:1
GET http://localhost:8888/static/components/backbone/backbone-min.map
404 (Not Found) :8888/static/components/backbone/backbone-min.map:1

The two failed GET requests are there even for new notebooks, so that is
probably not the problem. The codemirror errors shouldn't matter either,
because I have proper code highlighting in a new notebook. (Although, I
have noticed that the contents of subfolders in profile/static/custom
are no longer loaded. I have also checked the content
of/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/IPython/html/static/components/codemirror/addon/fold,
and that is not an empty folder, so I suppose that all components are
there.)

The only major difference that I see in the error log of a new and old
notebook is

Uncaught ReferenceError: nb is not defined notebook.js:2198

> Are you on tornado 4?

No, I was running version 3.1. I have removed that, and now I have
4.0.2. That didn't change the situation.

>> The other problem is a rendering issue: when I create a new notebook (this can be done without problems, and then the results can be loaded later), and I execute, say, 3*3, I get $$9$$ in the output. This happens, when I run the the server with the ipython configuration file that I attached.  Is this an issue in the kernel as such, or something in the sympyprinting extension?
> Probably a bug in JS (cf above)
>
>> These issues don't seem to be related to the browser, or the browser history: I have cleared the cache, and tried to run the notebooks in chrome and firefox. I have also run
>>
>>> python setup.py submodule
>> Since that didn't work, I removed the whole git folder, and cloned the content again. That didn't help either. I still get an
>>
>> /> running css
>> />/  />/  Failed to build css sourcemaps: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
>> />/  checking package data/
> You might need less to build the css. But if you clone --recursive, you shouldn't ned to build anything.

I have tried this, too, the same problem.

>> error, when trying to build. Last time Matthias suggested python setup.py submodule, and that solved the problem, but not now.
>>
>> What I also noticed is that the old notebooks have the header
>>
>> {
>> "metadata": {
>>   "name": "",
>>   "signature": "sha256:166a240702e584a760e43c90f3d1422154ca5aec932554de10f4922aaa1e517a"
>> },
>> "nbformat": 3,
>> "nbformat_minor": 0,
>> "worksheets": [
>>

>> while the new ones are bare; they kick out like this:
>>
>> {
>> "cells": [
>>   {
>>    "cell_type": "code",
>>    "execution_count": 1,
>>    "metadata": {
>>     "collapsed": false
>>    },
>>    "outputs": [
>>
>> and the metadata is moved to the end of the file, and the "worksheet" dictionary entry is removed. I wonder, whether some of the problems are related to a change in the notebook format.
> This is indeed the noes notebook format.
> I though we were using an ordered dict to write file on disk, but order shouldn't matter.

But in the new version, the 'worksheets' entry is completely removed,
isn't it?
> Markdown cell with # on the beginning will be converted to heading cell, the UI to warn about that is not there yet.

Quite neat!

Cheers,
Zoltán