[IPython-dev] Help Figuring out Why Horizontal Three Column Widget Container Layout Isn't Working

Anders Schneiderman ASchneiderman at asha.org
Thu Nov 6 16:57:24 EST 2014

I'm trying to create a horizontal three column widget container layout and it's not working. The alignment examples from the widget documentation work just fine. But when I tried to use the hbox class on my widget containers, it didn't seem to do anything; they are stacked on top of each other. Here's a simplified version of what I'm trying to do:

from IPython.html import widgets
from IPython.display import display

input_columns = widgets.ContainerWidget()
display(input_columns)
input_columns.add_class("hbox")
subnav = widgets.ContainerWidget(children=[widgets.HTMLWidget(value ="Subnav")])
input_box = widgets.ContainerWidget(children=[widgets.HTMLWidget(value = "This is where the input will go")])
tutorial =  widgets.ContainerWidget(children=[widgets.HTMLWidget(value ="Tutorial")])
input_columns.children =(subnav,input_box,tutorial)

What am I doing wrong? I've tried this both in Google Chrome and Firefox and it's not working either.

Also, should twitter bootstrap's grid system work in IPython Notebook? I tried using that, and it didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks!
Anders