[IPython-dev] Trouble installing IPython3 into dist-packages

Dong Ta dongta.hds at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 01:07:15 EST 2014

Thank you. I've just tried

sudo pip3 install file://$PWD#egg=ipython[notebook] --upgrade
--force-reinstall

which installed successfully. However, the original problem remains, i.e.
it doesn't install IPython package into /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages

In [1]: from IPython import core

In [2]: ??core
Type:        module
String form: <module 'IPython.core' from
'/home/dongta/ipython/IPython/core/__init__.py'>
File:        /home/dongta/ipython/IPython/core/__init__.py
Docstring:   <no docstring>

although the entry point is installed correctly, i.e.

~$ which ipython
/usr/local/bin/ipython