[IPython-dev] Upgrading Kernels for IPython 3

Andrew Gibiansky andrew.gibiansky at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 02:01:10 EST 2014

Hey all,

I'd like to update my IHaskell kernel for IPython 3 before IPython 3 is
released. Sorry to bug this list, but I've found that I have a few
questions that online resources / documentation aren't answering (or I'm
not looking at the right resources):

1.  When is IPython 3 slated to be out (and on PyPI)? I saw the roadmap on
the wiki, which indicated Fall 2014 – are there any more detailed plans?
2. Is there a list of things kernel authors need to do to update kernels?
I've attempted to use the same kernel with IPython 3 and found that nothing
works (my guess is there are several things in need of updating).
3. It seems that the new architecture assumes that kernels will install
themselves into the ipython kernels directory, after which the user will
invoke "ipython notebook" and choose the kernel. While I like this and
would like to support this usage, historically I have shipped an "IHaskell"
command which just ran IHaskell directly via "ipython --profile haskell"
(along with doing a whole suite of other things). I would like to continue
to provide this sort of mechanism to start IHaskell specifically, but it
looks like "--profile" is deprecated (although it still appears in
"--help"). What should I do? (Also, is "--profile-dir" also deprecated? It
also appears in help and doesn't say it's deprecated.)

Finally, if this information exists online somewhere, please link me to it
– I've googled around a bit, looked on the wiki, etc, and it doesn't seem
like there's a document that gives me what I need.

Thanks!
Andrew