[IPython-dev] Upgrading Kernels for IPython 3

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 13:28:32 EST 2014

On 23 November 2014 at 23:01, Andrew Gibiansky <andrew.gibiansky at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 1.  When is IPython 3 slated to be out (and on PyPI)? I saw the roadmap on
> the wiki, which indicated Fall 2014 – are there any more detailed plans?

It will probably be early in the new year now.

> 2. Is there a list of things kernel authors need to do to update kernels?
> I've attempted to use the same kernel with IPython 3 and found that nothing
> works (my guess is there are several things in need of updating).

There is a new version (5) of the message spec, but as Matthias mentioned,
IPython should detect a kernel using the version 4 message spec and
translate messages so it keeps working. Other than that, you should write a
kernel spec, as described here:
http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/development/kernels.html#kernel-specs

If you have custom JS overrides, they will almost certainly need to be
updated, but there's no documentation of how to do that; the frontend
interfaces are all changing much too fast to be worth documenting at
present. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask us. We will also
make a way to provide custom JS with a kernelspec for the kernel selection
mechanism, but this isn't in place yet.

> 3. It seems that the new architecture assumes that kernels will install
> themselves into the ipython kernels directory, after which the user will
> invoke "ipython notebook" and choose the kernel. While I like this and
> would like to support this usage, historically I have shipped an "IHaskell"
> command which just ran IHaskell directly via "ipython --profile haskell"
> (along with doing a whole suite of other things). I would like to continue
> to provide this sort of mechanism to start IHaskell specifically, but it
> looks like "--profile" is deprecated (although it still appears in
> "--help"). What should I do? (Also, is "--profile-dir" also deprecated? It
> also appears in help and doesn't say it's deprecated.)

I don't remember that we've deprecated --profile, though we haven't decided
yet what will happen with profiles when we separate IPython and Jupyter.

Best wishes,
Thomas