[IPython-dev] Multi-user IPython Notebook

ssanderson ssanderson at quantopian.com
Fri Oct 3 14:18:50 EDT 2014

Kyle,

Currently we're spinning up new containers manually over SSH using Fabric.
The container we're running is conceptually pretty similar to the
scipyserver container in  docker-notebook
<https://github.com/ipython/docker-notebook>  .  At the moment we're not
doing any sort of proxying, so each single user server just gets its own
unique URL and password, which is supplied to its user.

As far as how many containers we run per host, we're still playing around
with different instance types and resource limits, so we haven't settled on
a specific number.  One of the challenges for us is that different research
activities have radically different performance profiles.  For example,
querying historical financial data is mostly IO-bound, analyses of large
datasets are often constrained by RAM, and backtesting with in-memory data
is primarily CPU-bound (in my dream world, we can farm out the CPU-bound
tasks to pool of worker containers using IPython Parallel, but that's a ways
off).   That said, I think our current ballpark is to run on the order of 10
containers per host.