[IPython-dev] Absolute Path IPython

Akim Demaille akim at lrde.epita.fr
Thu Oct 16 10:42:53 EDT 2014

Le 23 sept. 2014 à 14:25, Matthias Bussonnier <bussonniermatthias at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi,

Hi Matthias, Hi all,

The context was: our documentation, written in IPython notebooks
(see http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/www.lrde.epita.fr/dload/vaucanson/2.0/notebooks/index.ipynb), is installed on the user's machine as IPython notebooks.
I wanted to be able to open these ipynb on request from
the user so that she could read the documentation inline in her
working notebook, but it was reported that this won't work, by
design, for safety reasons.

You suggested to open a static HTML page instead.

>> This is possible, indeed.  Which means that we should also install
>> the html rendering.  Why not, after all.
>
> I was referring in using the IPython display machinery to show a ilk to the user, and this link could open another tab.
> Yo could even use js to trigger the opening of this tab.
>
> If you look at what Julia is doing, their "info methods" for "objects" do return html with direct link to github source code.
> As you know the hash of the current version of the project, you can directly link to a rendered version. Which also avoid to build the doc locally, but I won't go into the debatee of having or not local build of docs.

> One thing I can see you doing, is if you can export to html fragments, is having
> doc('somehting') just return a IPython.display.HTML object with the content of the doc.
> This would allow to see doc in the notebook.

Well, I went ahead and now I also install the HTML rendering
of these notebooks.  However the (outer) notebook goes nut
when I try to read one of the html I created myself, while
it seems to be happy with the same file, but served by nbviewer.

In clear, with:

from IPython.display import HTML
HTML("http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/www.lrde.epita.fr/dload/vaucanson/2.0/notebooks/index.ipynb")

my notebook seems to stay alive, while:

HTML("http://www.lrde.epita.fr/dload/vcsn/2.0/notebooks/index.html")

completely breaks it (the JS part seems stuck: no means to run a cell
etc.).  Would you have any idea what is going wrong?

Of course, I have the same problem when I try to rendering the
page installed on the user's machine:

HTML(filename = "/opt/local/share/vcsn/notebooks/index.html")

Thanks!