[IPython-dev] Console ipython - multi-line history editing

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 10:43:57 EDT 2014

I don't know whether I am imagining this, but I thought that the
console IPython shell allowed history editing of multi-line
statements. So, for example, if In[1] is

    for i in range(3):
        print(i)

I thought I could use up-arrow to recall the whole two-line statement
and edit it. But when I try this (on Windows, with Python 3.4, IPython
2.3.0 and pyreadline 2.0) it seems that up-arrow recalls single lines.

Is there a configuration setting I need to change, or am I imagining
this and IPython doesn't do that? (I may be confusing the IPython
shell with PowerShell's PSReadLine, which does). I know I can use the
notebook for this, but sometimes console IPython is more convenient...

Thanks,
Paul