[IPython-dev] Console ipython - multi-line history editing

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 16:25:45 EDT 2014

On 22 October 2014 13:22, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> One oddity. It appears that within a session with
> --TerminalInteractiveShell.multiline_history=True, up arrow recalls
> history line by line, not multi-line. But exiting and restarting
> *does* get the multi-line history.

When you restart IPython, we only need to fill the readline history from
our own database. Within the session, we need to replace what readline
automatically records with the multiline history we assemble. So I'm not
surprised that it actually works better with history from previous sessions.

Thomas