[IPython-dev] Unable to start Jupityr on Docker using "Quick start" instructions

Kyle Kelley rgbkrk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 19:09:05 EDT 2014

Hey Robert!

Couple things to get started in diagnosing these issues with docker.

Use docker ps to list running containers and docker ps -a to list all
containers including those that have stopped. If any jupyter/demo servers
or jupyter/tmpnb instances were up, use their container id (e.g. 8239ba87)
to run docker logs [CONTAINER].

That being said, the big change that was introduced in the last week was
spawn pools. It now takes longer for tmpnb to boot while it is allocating
containers. That *does* mean that you won't see the service up immediately.
Check the logs to see what's going on. You also need to make real choices
about memory limits on each container (--mem-limit=512m) as well as pool
size (--pool-size=10). pool_size*mem_limit should be < available RAM.

I deployed this earlier tonight with the vanilla docker instructions, but I
gave it some time to warm up.

If none of this helps, I can work with you next week after I wrap up with
the Mozilla Festival. Feel free to ask more questions on list (or in repo)
and provide logs too. Once you get in a good state with this, we'd
certainly welcome pull requests to improve the documentation.

Cheers!

-- Kyle

Kyle Kelley (@rgbkrk <https://twitter.com/rgbkrk>; http://lambdaops.com)