[IPython-dev] Jupyterhub-based CMS?

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 13:04:34 EDT 2014

On 24 October 2014 09:04, Doug Blank <doug.blank at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, that would probably be very easy. But would be hard to have much
> integration between the notebooks and the CMS components (imagine panels
> like "tag cloud", "trending libraries", "search/example uses", "share",
> "co-edit", etc). It would seem that if the CMS were at least written in
> Python, that would allow more interesting/useful components and integration.

If the server processes have access to the same filesystem, you can process
and display the notebooks in another application quite easily.
IPython.nbformat is a Python package to read and write them, but it's a
fairly thin wrapper around the JSON structures (apart from the bits to
convert between different format versions), so you can manipulate them from
any language that can work with JSON.

Simultaneous editing is trickier, because that would need to be integrated
into the notebook application. We do plan to do that at some point, but
we're still some way from it.

Thomas