[IPython-dev] Unable to start Jupityr on Docker using "Quick start" instructions

roalexan roalexan at microsoft.com
Tue Oct 28 15:30:24 EDT 2014

So, having looked at the code (in particular orchestrate.py) it is clear that
tmpnb has a background process that will "pre-launch a set number of
containers". I think that the number of containers is controlled by the
/pool-size/ parameter (and the upper memory limit per container is set by
the /mem-limit/ parameter).

Having said that, I would expect going to http://MYHOST.cloudapp.net:8000
would open up a notebook using one of the pre-allocated containers. What it
actually does is redirect me to: http://MYHOST.cloudapp.net:8000/spawn/,
which fails with an error (...It looks like we're full up. Every single
container is in use right now!).

I can manually get it to work by looking in the log file of
jupyter/tmpnb:latest to find a valid user name of one of the containers to
construct a URL like,
http://MYHOST.cloudapp.net:8000/user-dH5GL6B4B0pN/tree, but what I really
need is the correct URL entry point that I should be using. Can somebody
please help me with this?