[IPython-dev] How to cite the IPython notebook?

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 16:31:21 EDT 2014

https://github.com/ipython/ipython-website/blob/master/citing.rst

================
 Citing IPython
================

If IPython been significant to a project that leads to an academic publication,
please acknowledge that fact by citing the project.  As of now, the canonical
academic reference for IPython is `this paper
<http://fperez.org/papers/ipython07_pe-gr_cise.pdf>`_, for which here are both
a BibTex and a plaintext reference you can use::

    @Article{PER-GRA:2007,
      Author    = {P\'erez, Fernando and Granger, Brian E.},
      Title     = {{IP}ython: a System for Interactive Scientific Computing},
      Journal   = {Computing in Science and Engineering},
      Volume    = {9},
      Number    = {3},
      Pages     = {21--29},
      month     = may,
      year      = 2007,
      url       = "http://ipython.org",
      ISSN      = "1521-9615",
      doi       = {10.1109/MCSE.2007.53},
      publisher = {IEEE Computer Society},
    }

or in plaintext:

    Fernando Pérez, Brian E. Granger, *IPython: A System for Interactive
    Scientific Computing*, Computing in Science and Engineering, vol. 9, no. 3,
    pp. 21-29, May/June 2007, doi:10.1109/MCSE.2007.53. URL: http://ipython.org

Thank you!

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 7:08 AM, Jason Grout <jason-sage at creativetrax.com>
wrote:

> On 10/29/14, 7:46, Matthias Bussonnier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Le 29 oct. 2014 à 12:39, Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net> a
> écrit :
> >
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> I am looking for a citable reference for the IPython notebook. All I
> >> could find on ipython.org is a 2007 paper describing IPython, but that
> >> was before the notebook. The context of my citation is tools for
> >> reproducible research, so ideally I'd like to cite a paper that
> >> actually describes the notebook and the design decisions behind it.
> >
> > There are no citation post notebook from US, we are working on it.
> > Can it wait a bit ?
>
> Doesn't github allow generating DOIs from software releases?  Perhaps
> that would be a good way to cite IPython and a version number:
>
> https://guides.github.com/activities/citable-code/
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Wes Turner