[IPython-dev] Reading a password securely in a Notebook

Clare Sloggett claresloggett at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 07:43:07 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I am wondering if there's a way to read a string into a variable in a
notebook without recording it in the input or output of the cell. I tried
using getpass, but it hangs, presumably not passing the input request to
the front-end. raw_input() works in pretty much the way I'd like, but of
course records the input. IPython.lib.passwd similarly doesn't work (and in
any case I need the password as a raw, unencrypted string in this case).

I found this issue: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/854 which
seems to imply that getpass support has been implemented but won't be
included until IPython 3.0 . Is that right? Are there other alternatives?

Thanks for any help!

Clare