[IPython-dev] Node in cluster know its rank, or cluster size?

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 17:48:21 EDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Doug,
>
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Doug Blank <doug.blank at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks! short, sweet, and answers my question!
>>

> You may also want to have a quick look at the first cells in this notebook:
>

> http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/ipython/ipython/blob/2.x/examples/Parallel%20Computing/Monitoring%20an%20MPI%20Simulation%20-%201.ipynb
>
> that show you how to write a little utility (mpi_order) that can be used
> to get a sequence in MPI-rank order after you've gathered it from your
> IPython nodes. Very useful for domain decomposition problems where you want
> to reconstruct in the client a data strucutre that's spatially distributed
> over the MPI nodes.  See how it's used further down in that same notebook.

Thanks, Fernando... that's exactly the type of algorithm I was thinking of,
I just couldn't find such values since I wasn't using MPI. But Min's little
snip-it has me up and running. This is truly a lovely environment...
switching languages, graphics, plotting, data, and just now discovering the
parallel tools.

-Doug