[IPython-dev] Renumber cells for nbconvert

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 18:12:33 EDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 5:59 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 September 2014 14:55, Doug Blank <doug.blank at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Although, I just tested the ability to renumber cells using a different
>> scheme, such as "A", "B", "C", ... or "I", "II", "III" (or some other
>> pattern) and that appears to work. Renumbering using a different numbering
>> scheme could show the order, but also indicate that this isn't operation
>> order.
>

> Fair warning: if you do this and save the resulting notebook structure, we
> consider that an invalid notebook, since prompt numbers should be integers
> or null. Just doing it for static rendering might be OK, though.

Fair enough :) But, I did some more experimenting on master and found that
floating-point numbers seem to pass as valid (eg, it at least saves and
loads). But you are right that "A" gets reset to null on load. (Note that
I'm not necessarily actually advocating this kind of numbering, just
experimenting and attempting to show this difference (execution order vs.
reference order). Thinking outside the box, er, cell, as it were.

-Doug