[IPython-dev] more bootstrap widgets

Nicholas Bollweg nick.bollweg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 09:23:32 EDT 2014

Thanks for the feedback!

About reuse: i haven't tried out other kernels yet, but portability to
other backends seems easier than other frontends (say, polymer and
icomoon)... Is implementing the widget spec part of the price of admission
for being a kernel? I guess i haven't seen a Rosetta example of a widget
for all known backends.

The widgets themselves are very simple, usually just declaring traits and
maybe providing a vanity init... *args as children, or value. Other than
the enums of bootstrap stuff, which could follow font-awesome into json
files, a lot of non widget code is there for dealing with loading assets...
Presumably this will get better when the require redactor lands.

What will widget distribution look like in a multi kernel world? it seems
like an implementation of a front end would go on bower (or equivalent),
and then one could see which other back ends had implementations for it,
from their respective package managers.

I suppose this could go both ways, with a single, declarative, versioned
spec of traits and events (ex. Bower:jptr-barchart-spec... As json or
better still, .jsonld) in the middle.

Then multiple frontends (bower:jptr-barchart-nvd3 and
bower:jptr-barchart-highcharts) as well as multiple backends
(pypi:ip-barchart and cran:ir-barchart), even for a single kernel
(pypi:ip-barchart-numpy), could harmoniously coexist, and develop
independently. Presumably, the user would not have to know any of this,
just install and use the implementation of their choice.

This again raises the question of an extension registry website/cli where
one could see all of this in one place, as this sounds hard to manage from
a configuration management point of view... Is this already on the roadmap
somewhere?