[IPython-dev] Highlighting code as program runs?

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 22:50:05 EDT 2014

We are currently running an external kernel (Scheme) based on the "wrapper
kernel" [1]. We would like to have a mode such that we could highlight the
expression in the code cell as the program "runs".

Is there an example of something like this? If not, what would be the
recommended method to do this? Perhaps a CodeWidget, with specialized comm
message handling to highlight the text, with stepper controls?

I see that CodeMirror supports highlighting an area [2]. Now, just need to
be able to send the region bounds as the program runs, and receive them.

Any pointers appreciated,

-Doug

[1] - http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/development/wrapperkernels.html

[2] - cell.code_mirror.markText({line: 6, ch: 2}, {line: 6, ch: 5},
{className: "styled-background"});