[IPython-dev] Issues with shell commands in IPython Notebook (Windows version)

Kenneth Tran one at kentran.net
Wed Sep 24 04:48:28 EDT 2014

I have 2 instances of IPython NBServer running, one runs on Linux and the
other runs on Windows. Let's call them NB-Win and NB-Linux. On both
machines, IPython was installed using Anaconda.

The experience of calling shell commands on NB-Win has been terrible. Many
commands hang for no reason.

I've tried

*!wget
http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~cjlin/libsvmtools/datasets/binary/kddb.t.bz2
<http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~cjlin/libsvmtools/datasets/binary/kddb.t.bz2>*

(which is just 25MB) in a notebook on both servers.

*On NB-Win*
The command always failed to terminate. It hangs like this forever

[image: Inline image 1]

When I looked at the *wget* process in Process Explorer, none of the
numbers (CPU, memory, IO, network, etc.) moved. If I killed the process,
then now the cell returned something, like this

[image: Inline image 3]

The experience is the same with other commands. For example, I tried going
to a directory and calling *!make*, and that one also didn't terminate.

For comparison, this is what looks like when I run the same command
using NB-Linux. The output is displayed as the program is running and the
program exits in a few seconds.
[image: Inline image 2]

*So my questions are*

   1. Why does the above command above (as well as many others) hang in
   NB-Win? (I could replicate this issue easily on my other Windows machines.)
   2. Why can't NB-Win display console output in real-time as the program
   is running? While both NB-Linux and IPython shell on Windows/Linux can.
   3. Why does NB-Win display a different output (or error?) string than
   what IPython-Win shell (on the same machine) produces? Both invoke the same
   *C:\Cygwin\bin\wget.exe* command line.

[image: Inline image 5]

Those issues have driven me crazy. I would appreciate any help.

-Ken