[IPython-dev] Get notebook kernels to start in the same folder as the notebook .ipynb file

William Shipman shipman.william at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 13:09:22 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,

Several months ago, when opening a notebook, the kernel running that
notebook would use the notebook's folder as its working directory. This
allowed me to save figures etc. in the same folder as my notebook without
having to hardcode the location of that notebook.

Somewhere in the intervening months, either I have unintentionally disabled
that or something changed in IPython. I am currently using version 2.3.
Please advise as to what setting(s) I need to use.

Regards,
William.