[IPython-dev] Customize IPython tree / dashboard with machine name

G Jones glenn.caltech at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 12:19:53 EDT 2015

Hi,
I run ipython notebook servers on several different machines, and then set
up ssh tunnels from my personal machine to access the notebook servers in
my browser. The trouble is I have so many now that I am forgetting which
port number corresponds to which notebook server. So I'd like to add a bit
of text to the dashboard that says at least the machine name, and
preferably some other identifying info, in case I have two servers running
on the same machine. Is there an easy way to do this? I looked at the
generate_page_title function in html/tree/handlers.py, but it seems to be
hard coded to return either Home or the current directory path. Is there
something built in configurable? I'd like to avoid having to do anything
specialized as much as possible. I'm running ipython 3.1.0, but could
upgrade if this feature is available in a newer version.

Thanks,
Glenn