[IPython-dev] Debugging when communication of notebook with kernel lost?

Anton Suchaneck a.suchaneck at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 13:32:30 EDT 2015

Hello,

I've now repeatedly had this issue in different systems, where the IPython
just stopped executing any further cells. Maybe I can try to tell what I
observed (since it's hard to reproduce not all points are clear to me):
* cells that usually run in milliseconds, just show [*] and nothing happens
anymore.
* there is no message on the IPython console or the Javascript console
* it happens on Firefox, Chrome, Windows, Linux (not just my own system). I
suppose all had an antivirus - one had only McAfee
* on the IPython console window the notebook continues to save itself
(while no cell is executed)
* I believe once it continued after a long pause, but I'm not sure
* kernel restarting from the menu usually does not fix it
* the only thing that seems to work is going to the IPython home screen,
shutdown the notebook and restart
* sometimes I see "KeyboardInterrupt" in the console at eventloops.py: line
30, process_stream_events()
* I have a vague impression it happens more often when I do plotting, but
that's just a guess

What would you suggest to find out what's going on?

Regards,
Anton