[IPython-dev] Question about the stability of the api

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 03:47:30 EDT 2015

fred.jendrzejewski at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I started working with a third party package (pymc3) in ipython4 I get
some errors that seem concern changes in the api of ipython:

>> ShimWarning: The `IPython.html` package has been deprecated. You should
>> import from `notebook` instead. `IPython.html.widgets` has moved to
>> `ipywidgets`. "`IPython.html.widgets` has moved to `ipywidgets`.",
ShimWarning)
>> ./lib/python3.4/site-packages/IPython/utils/traitlets.py:5: UserWarning:
IPython.utils.traitlets
>> has moved to a top-level traitlets package.
>> warn("IPython.utils.traitlets has moved to a top-level traitlets
package."

>> Before we wanted to start the debugging procedure, we wanted to ask how
stable this part of the ipython API is. In other words, is it worth to find
a clean fix or will this change within a short time frame anyway again ?

> These are just warnings
>
> You can just replace
>
> import IPython.html.widgets
>
> by
>
> try:
>    import ipywidgets
> except ImportErrror:
>   import IPython.html.widgets.
>
> (same with traitlets)
>
> Or actually do a conditional import depending on the IPython version.
>
> The stability depends on each package, that know have their own version
numbers, so the stability will depends on each specific package.
> They will most likely not move again before a few years.

http://sphinx-doc.org/markup/para.html

http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/contributing/documentation.html#versionadded-and-versionchanged

.. versionchanged:
..