[IPython-dev] Using jupyter_console as embedded shell

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 05:28:32 EST 2015

On 3 December 2015 at 10:10, Frédéric Mantegazza <mantegazza at ill.fr> wrote:

> So, I have to move my customization of IPython (completer, custom
> exceptions and so), to the kernel, right? The kernel acts as the core of
> IPython?

The kernel is the process that loads IPython and handles execution, tab
completion, and so on. Almost everything that's specific to dealing with
Python code happens in the kernel (syntax higlighting in the notebook and
the Qt console are exceptions). All of the Jupyter frontends (notebook,
qtconsole, console) communicate with kernels by sending messages back and
forth over a zmq socket. As far as possible, anything under the 'Jupyter'
name is language agnostic, so it should work as well for Julia, or R, or
any other language as it does for Python (so long as there's a kernel for
the language installed).

Thomas