[IPython-dev] embedding js9 into a notebook

ericmandel eric at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Dec 8 11:05:55 EST 2015

Ah right, the ajax problem is caused by using the wrong link base. I'll have
to think about how to deal with that. Unfortunately, cross-origin framing of
our web sites is tangled in admin policy issues and it's less obvious how to
deal with that.

But also, it's unclear how Jupyter users will want to access JS9. From an
iframe, we could offer the JS9 Web site: drag/drop data into the display. We
also could offer "canned" JS9 pages with different combinations of JS9
plugin options (e.g. show the image panner and magnifier instead of bringing
them up as light windows).  But JS9 is a plugin library allowing Web
designers to roll their own just by placing div elements containing JS9
classes on a page. Will users want to do that? I think that partly depends
on what Jupyter users are accustomed to doing in general -- I have no idea
about that. Hopefully Gijs will have a better feel for how the astronomical
community uses Jupyter ... but comments are welcome ...

Finally, if the JS9 js and css files are installed and loaded locally,
possibilities open up for adding locally tailored data analysis. That might
be something to move toward. But again, it depends on how people might want
to use it.