[IPython-dev] Editing a table in the notebook

Francesc Alted faltet at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 05:29:25 EST 2015

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to see if there is an easy way to edit a table (pandas
>> dataframe or whatever that can be seen as tabular data) inside the jupyter
>> notebook.
>>

> Hi, Francesc.
>
> I think qgrid does what you want. If not, at least can provide you some
> hints:
> https://github.com/quantopian/qgrid

Wow, qgrid works like a charm.  Initially I thought there was not provision
for editing the table and propagate the changes back to the dataframe, but
actually it does, so woohoo!

Just for the record, I noticed that qgrid does install the .js and .css
files in:

$ ls ~/.local/share/jupyter/nbextensions/qgridjs/
__init__.py   lib        qgrid.datefilter.js  qgrid.filterbase.js
 qgrid.securityfilter.js  qgrid.textfilter.js
__init__.pyc  qgrid.css  qgrid.editors.js     qgrid.js
            qgrid.sliderfilter.js    qgrid.widget.js

and not in ~/.ipython/profile_default/static/custom .  I suppose this
change of configuration paths in newer IPython/Jupyter is responsible for
my previous attempts with the handsontable and the recipe in
https://gist.github.com/rossant/9463955 to fail in my setup.

Thank you!

--
Francesc Alted