[IPython-dev] How to load an extension into every notebook on a server

Ted Liefeld liefeld at broadinstitute.org
Wed Dec 23 17:06:59 EST 2015

I am building a Docker image to have a Jupyter server with the GenePattern
notebook extension in it.  So far so good except that in every notebook I
have to enter

     %reload_ext genepattern

into the first cell to make the extension active.  I have been prowling
through the docs and have tried putting this command in lots of places,
none of which have worked (e.g. ~/.jupyter/jupyter_notebook_config.py,
 ~/.ipython/profile_default/startup/ipython_notebook_config.py) both
normally (ie as above) and also as a config setting
        c.InteractiveShellApp.exec_lines = ['%reload_ext genepattern']

It seems with all the layers of config I am not finding the right one to
insert this at. Can anyone point me in the right direction?  My current
container is using Jupyter 4.0.6, IPython 4.0.1 and Python 3.4.3.

Thanks

Ted

--
Ted Liefeld                                      UC San Diego
Mesirov Lab                                    liefeld at ucsd.edu

Office 2A24, BRF-II                        858-534-2010