[IPython-dev] iPython 3 vs Jupyter etc

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 15:09:40 EST 2015

Jupyter is going to be a suite of related projects for interactive
computing in multiple languages. *Jupyterhub* is one of the first projects
using that naming umbrella, and is responsible for running what we
currently call IPython Notebook servers for multiple users.

We will be splitting up the code currently called IPython into several
parts, most of which will be called Jupyter. The IPython Notebook (the
application) will become the Jupyter Notebook. There is no plan to merge
this into Jupyterhub - that is a separate project under the Jupyter name.
So you will definitely still be able to run the notebook server without
Jupyterhub.

The Notebook application will be able to work with notebooks written in
different programming languages (this is already working in master). After
we split up the project currently called IPython, the bits specific to
running and interacting with Python code will continue to be called
IPython, while the parts that work for any language will be called Jupyter.

I hope that clarifies the changes a bit.

Thomas