[IPython-dev] Installation docs out of date

Ian Bell ian.h.bell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 13:15:00 EST 2015

I do use conda, but the docs should be compatible with conda usage

C:\Users\ihb>pip install --upgrade ipython[all]
Requirement already up-to-date: ipython[all] in
c:\users\ihb\appdata\local\continuum\miniconda\lib\site-packages
  Exception:
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File
"C:\Users\ihb\AppData\Local\Continuum\Miniconda\lib\site-packages\pip\basecommand.py",
line 232, in main
      status = self.run(options, args)
    File
"C:\Users\ihb\AppData\Local\Continuum\Miniconda\lib\site-packages\pip\commands\install.py",
line 339, in run
      requirement_set.prepare_files(finder)
    File
"C:\Users\ihb\AppData\Local\Continuum\Miniconda\lib\site-packages\pip\req\req_set.py",
line 436, in prepare_files
      req_to_install.extras):
    File
"C:\Users\ihb\AppData\Local\Continuum\Miniconda\lib\site-packages\pip\_vendor\pkg_resources\__init__.py",
line 2504, in requires
      "%s has no such extra feature %r" % (self, ext)
  UnknownExtra: ipython 2.4.1 has no such extra feature 'all'

I used pip to manually install the required packages for the notebook.