[IPython-dev] IPython messaging spec for warnings with traceback

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 17:55:48 EST 2015

Le 17 févr. 2015 à 14:44, Zakariyya Mughal <zaki.mughal at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I'm working on the IPerl language kernel and I wanted to implement
> Perl's warning system.
>
> In the messaging spec, I can only return the extra fields for error
> names, traceback, etc. only if the status in the `execute_reply` message
> is 'error' <http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/development/messaging.html#execution-results>.
>
> Since warnings do not halt the execution of the program, how should I
> approach this? I think the current way in IPython is to have warnings go
> to `stderr` rather than have a separate traceback mechanism.

I believe that's how we do it yes. And I think other kernels do that as well.

I guess if we standardize a spec for traceback, it might make sens to reconsider
displaying tracebacks in the middle of execution. But if you already have argument
for that now, you can expose them.

We will most likely not change the spec now that we are in RC,
but we can start thinking of the next changes.