[IPython-dev] Notebook websocket change

William Stein wstein at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 17:33:50 EST 2015

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 2:08 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Just curious -- how do you know that most people using IPython aren't
>> already using it through SMC?
>

> Great question!
>
> As with all such things, if you are asking for a precise data driven
> answers, then we don't know.
>
> But here is the constellation of evidence that would lead me to this
> conclusion (that SMC represents a minority fraction of the overall number of
> ipython users):
>
> * We estimate that the total ipython user base is in the 0.5-1.5 million
> range. However, this is likely a very conservative estimate. Fernando has
> the best summary of where we get these estimates (I don't remember where the
> most recent information is - probably in a private email to someone). If SMC
> has this number of users, then my assertion is clearly to be questioned.
> * We spend a significant amount of time out meeting with ipython users an
> conferences, universities, research labs, companies. Over this sample, I
> know of very few people using SMC (less than 1%). I will be the first to
> admit that this is both anecdotal and subject my the sampling bias of my
> particular travel schedule...
> * Users get and use ipython through a large number of avenues: anaconda,
> pip, github, SMC, Canopy, apt-get, yum, etc. Our overall usage numbers come
> from trying to estimate the install base of each of these things and adding
> them up - we then double check with things like nbviewer usage, etc.
> Anecdotally, it appears that anaconda is the most common way that people get
> and use ipython, but the most reliable numbers we have come from apt-get and
> yum.
> * Commercial usage of the notebook (in private with private data) is quickly
> overtaking the more open academic and educational uses of the notebook. The
> difficulty here is that companies tend to keep their usage private. However,
> each time we get a glimpse at commercial usage (which is happening more and
> more) we are blown away by the scale of it. My assumption is that industry
> usage with private code+data is not the main audience for SMC.
>
> I want to emphasize that I don't in any way mean to minimize the impact or
> importance of SMC. We all think it is fantastic what you are doing and I
> personally recommend it to people all the time.
>
> ps - are you willing to share SMC usage stats with us? It would really help
> us to reduce the error bars on our usage numbers, which is very helpful in
> talking to funding agencies...

Thanks for explaining how you measure usage, which I knew nothing
about.  Regarding my SMC usage stats, it's all here:

   http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/schilly/salvus/stats/stats.html

There is in theory more precise data, but it's not been mined yet.

Usage of SMC appears to be miniscule compared to any of the numbers
you list above.

William

> Cheers, Brian
>

> --