[IPython-dev] iTorch - Weird issues with mkfifo on linux

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 13:16:48 EST 2015

On 15 January 2015 at 19:26, Soumith Chintala <soumith at fb.com> wrote:

> One problem we oncovered is that on certain (or possibly all linux
> distros) ipython thinks our kernel died, even though it is alive and well.

FIFOs have some bizarre properties which might be related - for instance,
opening a FIFO for reading will block until something else opens it for
writing (the open() call itself blocks, not just attempts to read). Could
it be that an unexpectedly blocking system call is stopping the heartbeat
and causing IPython to think that your kernel is dead?

Thomas