[IPython-dev] WebGL example in IPython notebook based on three.js

David Powell DavidAnthonyPowell+python at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 01:47:21 EST 2015

Hello all,

I recently managed to get 3D vector plots working in the IPython notebook,
by statically producing three.js output. I thought I'd share it here in
case this example is useful for anyone else, or if anyone has any
suggestions as to how I could do things better.

The advantage of the static approach is that the output survives the
nbconvert process, which you can see in this notebook here (which also
compares with a couple of other unsatisfactory ways of visualising 3D
vector plots).

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/DavidPowell/openmodes-examples/blob/master/How%20to%20create%203D%20plots.ipynb

Another example can be seen at:

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/DavidPowell/openmodes-examples/blob/master/Using%20and%20creating%20geometric%20shapes.ipynb

If you are interested to see how this works, you can check out the python
source:

https://github.com/DavidPowell/OpenModes/blob/master/openmodes/ipython.py

As well as the javascript:

https://github.com/DavidPowell/OpenModes/blob/master/openmodes/static/three_js_plot.js

and finally the HTML:

https://github.com/DavidPowell/OpenModes/blob/master/openmodes/templates/three_js_plot.html

By the way, I am aware of the efforts to make a proper three.js IPython
widget (https://github.com/jasongrout/pythreejs/), and will probably switch
over to this once it is stable, and when the output can survive ipython's
nbconvert process. Is this something we can expect for widgets in IPython
3.0?

regards
David