[IPython-dev] Replacing PopUp?

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 17:19:16 EST 2015

Adam,

We apologize for all of the instability. We consider the IPython widgets to
be research grade code for now and there will continue to be API and
architecture changes for a few releases to come. For 3.0 we have added a
warning upon import that clarifies this aspect of widgets.

Moving forward, there will eventually be something that provides popup-like
capabilities for widgets, but it was causing a lots of problems and the
implementation had usability/UI problems for users. But, you should be able
to take the popup widget out of ipython 2.0 and get it working with 3.0
when it comes out as a third party widget.

Cheers,

Brian

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 2:07 PM, Adam Hughes <hughesadam87 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a widget GUI that was previously using Popup, and I noticed it's
> been deleted from dev.  We're kind of stuck now in a weird point between
> 2.x and master, and it seems like everytime we update ipython, a new widget
> component is changed.  So my question is, can we still get Popup behavior
> in our widgets?  IE can I go through the code and make a simple fix to
> retain the old functionality of the Popups?  And secondly, are there a lot
> more major changes to the widget system planned?   If so, we'll probably
> bundle our working version if IPython rather than try to maintain
> compatibility until the official 3.x release.
>
> Thanks

Brian E. Granger
@ellisonbg on Twitter and GitHub
bgranger at calpoly.edu and ellisonbg at gmail.com