[IPython-dev] Display Function from with in a Function

John Omernik john at omernik.com
Wed Jan 28 10:34:26 EST 2015

So I tried this:

from IPython.display import display, display_html

html = "<H1>OH MY </H1>"
def runme(html):
   display_html(html)

runme(html)

# This produced no results/output Then I tried
def runme(html):
   display(html)

runme(html)

# This printed: '<H1> OH MY </H1>'

Which isn't what HTML(html) displayed (it displayed it rendered).  So
I had a hunch...

h = display_html(html)

type(h)
NoneType

so then in my function I did this:

def runme(html):
    h = HTML(html)
    display(h)
    print "did it work?"

and then runme(html) produced the expected Heading 1 OH MY and the
printed statement after.... thanks for the pointer in the right
direction!

John