[IPython-dev] Dockable widgets for IPython

Nicholas Bollweg nick.bollweg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 13:32:03 EST 2015

cedric:

this looks very cool: as the "ipython is not a platform" party line
softens, ideas like this are important for pushing what "interactive
computing" can be like. My immediate concern would be in not knowing which
cell a particular widget came from. Additionally, from a purely stylistic
sense, try using bootstrap panels and fontawesome to make it flow more
seamlessly with the notebook UI.

I think several folks have been looking for this in the past, especially
with creating such controls at notebook load time:
http://python.6.x6.nabble.com/How-To-create-persistent-interactive-UI-elements-outside-cells-td5079080.html#a5079562

I'd say near-term, see if you can repackage this into an nbextension that
someone can optionally add at profile config/run-time. If it can be made
into pure javascript that stores its data in the notebook/cell metadata,
that lowers the barrier to entry... and makes it more feasible to use with
other kernels.

Otherwise, if you need the python part, there is the approach taken by
cite2c <https://github.com/takluyver/cite2c>. Specifically, allowing the
configuration of the web app (not the kernel) to include loading custom
extensions <https://github.com/takluyver/cite2c/blob/master/install.py#L11>.

i have been interested in alternate editable layouts for some time: of them
i think live_reveal <https://github.com/damianavila/live_reveal>, while
still a little fiddly to install, has the most potential for becoming
something that would make sense to ship with the notebook experience,
especially as it is cell-based, (really) front-end only and its metadata is
already integrated into nvconvert and (soon, hopefully!) nbviewer. If your
widgets could survive nbviewer (either with or without help from a custom
converter) that would be really cool... once static widgets are supported.

i have a bit of python widget code that will populate widgets on top of SVG
regions (as defined by layers in inkscape): this makes it easy to build up
full-screen capable dashboards without requiring a lot of CSS/JS knowledge.

SVGLayout(svg="dashboard.svg",
          children={"chart": SomeChartWidget()})

i want to refactor it into pure javascript as well.

keep the list posted!