[IPython-dev] Proposal: soft moratorium on re-architecting for 5.0

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 17:35:00 EDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 1:29 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thomas has been informally leading the charge, so I'd be happy to follow
> him formally on 4.0. We are in

Great, thanks Thomas! You're in :)

I would suggest you post, on a separate thread, a summary of the release
plan/schedule when viable.

> good shape to have the majority of the smaller packages shipped by the end
> of SciPy (at least 2-3 before then). The bit that gets a little tricky is
> that we need to release IPython last (so that `ipython[all]` still works,
> but other projects depend on it, either directly (parallel, kernel) or
> artificially (notebook, qtconsole). I think we can still release those
> downstream projects before IPython, though. Until IPython is released, they
> won't be pip-installable without having done `pip install -e git:ipython`
> first, but it lets us progress without having to do one big day of
> releasing a half dozen packages.

Makes sense.

> Re: release managers, I think it's also important to note that we will
> hopefully only need the more formal freeze/release process for the more
> active projects (likely ipython/ipython, notebook, widgets, possibly
> nbconvert on occasion). For the most part, the other projects should be
> able to operate at a much more informal, frequent bugfix release pattern,
> where major revisions are less common, and active work causes tension with
> release.

Yes, I think this is very reasonable.

I just want us to be more explicit and communicate better our overall
release strategy.  Even if it's just saying this part out loud, so that
people know what to expect...