[IPython-dev] rant: "%matplotlib inline"

William Stein wstein at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 20:16:57 EDT 2015

<Rant>
Hi,

I just want to register my frustration that by far the most common
support request I get about IPython use in SageMathCloud is the
following: "To display the plot, I'm tried to pl.show(), and also
pl.savefig('test.png') as suggested by some answers online, but
neither did the job. What is the correct command?"

The answer is "%matplotlib inline", and there is a stackoverflow
question here about it:

   http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19410042/how-to-make-ipython-notebook-inline-matplotlib-graphics

I'm aware that disallowing the `--pylab inline` option when starting
ipython on the command line was a choice that you made on purpose.

No response required -- I'm just being a humble tech support person
watching out for users :-)

</Rant>