[IPython-dev] rant: "%matplotlib inline"

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 00:15:38 EDT 2015

> On Jul 3, 2015, at 21:08, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 8:57 PM, Matthias Bussonnier <bussonniermatthias at gmail.com <mailto:bussonniermatthias at gmail.com>> wrote:
> The things that start the kernel is a kernel manager, it is not especially aware of wether the notebook started it, or nbconvert,
> or hydrogen, or qtconsole ...
> It is not either especially aware of wether the kernel is python or julia, or R.
>
> Well, that's why I figured this was a proposal, it might require adding a message at kernel startup to record who was starting the kernel...  I haven't looked at that code in literally years, so I'm completely behind the times on the details, sorry.

Well, that would be a step-back from what we have been doing for the last 2 release to remove knowlege of IPython in Jupyter.
Or, actually break one abstraction that kernel do not know what have started them.
If we do one I would prefer the more general one.

> The path forward is ti have fig object define a _repr_png_, the we don’t have to deal with %matpltlib inline
>
> No, that wouldn't cover at all a case like the 'notebook' backend, that is the preferred one for matplotlib, that allows panning/zooming (and hopefully one day all MPL events in the notebook):

Well, also define _repr_html_ or _repr_js_ for notebook then.
The general message is to use our display_protocol the way it is design for matplotlib too.

Julia and R don’t need special activation and don’t have these issues, I don’t see why we can’t figure
out how to do theses things.

> <image.png>

PS: Booooo Pylab :-)