[IPython-dev] IPython and Jupyter 4.0 release plans

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 23:31:43 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I've volunteered to co-ordinate the release of our various packages for
4.0. This will hopefully be the only time that we need to do a co-ordinated
release of all the projects: once 4.0 is out, they should mostly be able to
evolve independently. So here's a summary of the current state and where
we're going.

We have already released: traitlets, jupyter_core, nbformat,
ipython_genutils

I hope that in the sprints here at Scipy 2015, we can get jupyter_client
and nbconvert released.

After this, the packages will need some extra co-ordination: ipykernel,
ipyparallel, ipywidgets, notebook, jupyter_console and jupyter_qtconsole
all depend on a new release of the ipython package, but that new release
will remove all the features that are moving into those packages, and we
don't want to leave people unable to install the notebook.

I hope that we can dodge this by releasing ipython 4.0.beta1 first, then
releasing packages with a dependency on that, and releasing ipython 4.0
final as the last thing. I want to talk this over with Min to check that it
will work. If not, we can either release the other packages first, so
you'll only be able to install them once ipython 4 is out, or do a 'big
bang' release of those seven packages more or less simultaneously.

I hope we can get all of these pieces out by the end of the month.

Thanks,
Thomas