[IPython-dev] Poll on Deprecating %load_ext

Maximilian Albert maximilian.albert at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 11:17:54 EDT 2015

> *
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/IPEPs:-IPython-Enhancement-Proposals

Good point about IPEPs, but these are typically used for technically more
involved (or contentious) issues where dicussions can extend over a long
period of time. My comment was more targeted at discussions such as the
present one where the a-priori expectation is that most people will agree
(and which feel far too "light" to warrant a full-blown IPEP), but where it
would be good to hear about unexpected use cases.

My choice of the word 'protocol' probably wasn't ideal as I was more
thinking of a guideline along the lines of: "wait for X amount of time
before putting the proposal into action", where X is documented somewhere
so that people know how reactive they need to be if they don't want to miss
a discussion. Anyway, no big deal, just wanted to point it out.

* %install_ext is a security issue (don't justify reproducible packaging
> with versions and checksums)
>
> * it would probably be easy to generate a setup.py to package existing
> extensions

Yep, I completely agree with your and others' comments that it'll be good
to deprecate %install_ext. But as I said, my question was not about this
particular issue but rather about the general procedure of discussing and
implementing something like this.

Best wishes,
Max